As we’ve benefited from our international education, we wish to support others in the same way.
IM Alumni pay forward by contributing money, resources, knowledge or contacts to people or projects engaged in international education.
In 2012, 2014, 2017, 2018 and 2019 we held charity auctions and each time raised between CHF 2000 – 4000 for charities set up by alumni. The remaining profits cover the annual IM Alumni Graduation Prize of CHF 400 to whichever graduand is voted the most “social cookie” by fellow classmates. And, as we don’t charge membership fees, we also need some funds to cover running costs (website hosting, F&B at our events).
IM Alumni received a quality education and numerous chances to internationalise. The Bid for a Boss event provides an opportunity for alumni and students to both give back and pay forward by raising funds for charities that help less advantaged youth also get an educational chance. At the previous events we raised money for
- A secondary school in Uganda set up by IM alumna Regina Nasseremba
- A charity to fund health insurance for children in the Philippines co-founded by IM alumnus Philip Frey
- Catalyst4Change which provides (2nd hand) laptops and ICT training to young pupils and students in remote rural Nigeria (founded by alumnus John Uwaeke)
- The NPO SALTorg which is run by the FHNW Swiss–ASEAN Learning and Teaching (SALT) Association. The funds raised provided 20 scholarships for disadvantaged children and teens from poor rural areas in Vietnam. IM Alumna Corinne Köpfli is a major driving force behind this programme
- ChildrenUA, co-founded by IM Alumna Antonina Strickler, which organises educational summer camps for teens from Ukrainian orphanages.
Each time, up to 15 bosses offer all sorts of activities, events, opportunities. Some of these were
- Visit Brussels for 2 days and gain insights into the European Parliament and the activities of the Swiss Science Foundation there
- accompany a CEO to international trade fair in Germany
- Conduct an orchestra and tickets to the concert
- half a day personal branding guidance for Linked in from a HR social media manager
- visit a YB match with a PwC director
- Tickets to a cd-launch party of a folk band, be a member of the band for a day
- lunch at a European city of choice (first class, using air miles) with a BCG partner
- drinks at the Pebbles Bar, RocheTower, with a Roche controller
- Backstage passes, tour and tickets to Baden Jazz Festival
- behind the scenes at an SRF programme with an SRG journalist
- a paid trip to Brussels to visit the European parliament and participate in Swiss-EU meetings
- a boat trip on Lake Lucerne with a marketing professor
- learn how to make ice-cream with a hotel manager
A major driver of the success of these auctions is our auctioneer Robert Buttery- with a quick wit and an ability to tease that extra frank out of people with humour has made him very popular.
At each event, the much-loved speed-networking takes place where you can meet new faces and if you missed out with your bid, meet some of those bosses. There’s always an apero riche and a bar and spirits are high – over the years many event visitors made good and lasting connections.
“Boss” Vinzenz Batt with Asja Hot (middle ) and Kim Hunziker (right) who “won” him in 2014.
Getting tied up at the 2012 event before the auction
Manuel Frei (left) won the bid for CEO (and IM Alumnus) Stephan Kunz’s offer in 2017 to be taken to Europe’s largest trade fair in Nürnberg.
Auctioneer Robert Buttery drives up the bid for Antonio Canarini who’s offering a day in his communications agency (2017)
Children crowd around one of the laptops donated to Catalyst4Change – the charity supporting Nigerian children which received CHF 2000 from the 2017 BfB
Audience members consider bidding at 2017 BfB
Bosses line up before the 2014 BfB